This recipe was inspired by a magical day harvesting elderflowers with Jamie of Moonbrew Tonic Co for her limited release jun tonic called WISDOM. I wanted to savour the feeling from our day together so I created a rhubarb and elderflower cordial that will last for weeks to come. I even froze some of the cordial in ice cubes trays for later this summer when I want to connect back to the way I felt amongst the elders that day.
To read more about our adventures and learn about Jamie, hop on over to the story and interview I did with her.
- 1.25 L (1250 ml) water
- 150g elderflower blossoms (about 35 stems)
- 2 cups mild honey (I used clover)
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3 stalks red rhubarb, chopped (about 2 cups)
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Add the rhubarb and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is broken down and had released its beautiful pink colour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool slightly. Add the honey and stir to dissolve.
- Place the elderflowers, lemon zest and juice in a 2L jar. Pour the warm liquid over the elderflowers, lemon zest and juice.
- Let stand for 3 - 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Strain out the solids through cheesecloth or a nut milk bag.
- Pour the cordial into a clean glass bottle. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze in ice cube trays for longer storage.
- To serve: Add 1 - 2 tbsp to a glass with ice, top with bubbly water and garnish with fresh elderflowers , lemon slices or other flowers/herbs.